We have provided the following links to websites that provide some great information on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care. We will update this page frequently, and would love to hear your ideas on links that you would like to see us add to this page to share with other pet owners. Feel free to send us your favorites. If we like them, we will add them to our list!
- American Humane Society
A network of individuals and organizations to prevent cruelty, abuse, neglect, and exploitation of children and animals and to assure that their interests and well-being are fully, effectively, and humanely guaranteed by an aware and caring society.
The official home page of the American Kennel Club. Contains information on many breeds of dogs, including photos and brief descriptions of each breed's characteristics.
- American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA)
The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) is an international association of more than 42,000 veterinary care providers who treat companion animals. AAHA is the only organization that accredits animal hospitals throughout the U.S. and Canada. AAHA-accredited hospitals voluntarily choose to be evaluated on 900 standards in the following areas: quality of care; diagnostic & pharmacy; management; medical records; and facility. All Northern Virginia Veterinary Associates hospitals are AAHA accredited
- The Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA)
The Cat Fanciers' Association website has lots of pictures, as well as information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and much more.
- Bark Busters Bark Busters' mission is to promote clear and open communication between owners and their dogs using simple and effective training methods that appeal to the canine psyche. Bark Busters' mission is to promote clear and open communication between owners and their dogs using simple and effective training methods that appeal to the canine psyche.
- National Animal Poison Control Center
This is the website of the National Animal Poison Control Center. It includes a library, links to other sites, and phone numbers for the poison control center.
- Heartworm Society Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease can be found here!
- Association of Pet Loss and Bereavement
We have all experienced the pain of losing a pet. The Association of Pet Loss and Bereavement has set up this site for support during this most difficult time. You will find inspirational stories, grief counseling resources, hotline number and many other resources.
- Plants Toxic to Animals, Introduction -- Vet Med Library, UIUC
A lot of information about toxic plants can be found here. You can search under common name or scientific name of the plant.
- Feline CRF Information CenterThis site contains a brief description of Feline Chronic Renal Failure and an overview of the diagnosis, treatment and prognosis.
- Novartis Animal Health
This site is sponsored by Novartis, the makers of Sentinel, Interceptor and Program, and has useful information on heartworm prevention and flea control for pet owners.
- Frontline TopSpot by Merial
Sponsored by the makers of Frontline TopSpot for flea and tick control, this site has basic information about fleas and ticks as well as TopSpot questions and answers
- Rainbow Bridge
Anyone who has ever lost a pet should visit this wonderful site. It is a terrific tribute to our lost family members
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
The USDA maintains this website with information on a variety of animal health related topics, including the latest news on such things as Mad Cow Diseases, foot and mouth disease, and many other things.
- Veterinary Schools in the US This is a great link to all of the websites of veterinary schools in the United States.
- West Nile Virus
This site is maintained by the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, and has the latest information on the spread of West Nile Virus in the US, as well as information on disease transmission, symptoms, etc.
- American Veterinary Medical Association
This site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of topics, including feline injection-site sarcomas and the latest subjects in veterinary medicine
- American Association of Feline Practitioners
The AAFP is like the American Medical Association for cat doctors, and has lots of good information regarding feline health